Love ~ Teach ~ Protect

Their purpose isn't to enhance my life ~ My purpose IS to enhance theirs...

See how fast we grow!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Phin's rocking and learning (hopefully)

Okay, I am NOT trying to be one of those pushy parents. However, it seems my little boys really LOVES to watch TV. I am sure I have touched on this topic before - if not on the blog, then certainly in person. I have done research and it states that children should not watch tv before they are 2yrs old. Further research suggests that more so, parents shouldn't use the tv in lieu of personal one on one attention with their child. Additionally, at age one, a child can understand the EMOTIONAL aspect of programming - so while they don't completely understand the show in full, they can glean the emotion out of the program - which is why we don't let our children watch adult programing. (I don't know if I have explained that well, but it makes sense to me.)
So, it's basically impossible to keep his little eyes off of the tv - especially when he's not in our arms all of the time anymore. SO, I though on the situation and tried to find a good solution. I think my solution was a good one. It was:
iKNOW Animals, Letters & Sounds (DVD series.) It teaches letters, sounds and animals of the rain forest. The series is actually made for pre-schoolers - which Phin is currently NOT a preschooler. Nor is my intention to make his a super early reader - or whatever. What I AM trying to do is make a healthy alternative for something he's doing that *I* don't find OK. So, he wants to stare at the TV? Well, okay. It's gonna be the Rain forest animals then. Hey, I have learned some interesting things too - like a taper has four toes in the front feet and three toes on the back feet. I can also pick out an agouti from a picture lineup. Trust me, it's party time here at the Hyphin House! Woo Hoo!

Check out our involved he can get in the video (though, it's not for very long in one sitting). (He is standing in his exer-saucer, staring at the tv).

No comments: