Love ~ Teach ~ Protect

Their purpose isn't to enhance my life ~ My purpose IS to enhance theirs...

See how fast we grow!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sometimes you just have to wait

For the right moment to present itself.
This is an example. Dan and I had a broken down sofa. I had bought it when he was away for basic training the first time. When we would sit on it, there was a big metal rail that would dig into our legs. I waited around until there was a big sale at a sofa store and we became the proud owners of this sofa a couple of years ago.

Sofas are expensive, but we did get a good deal on this one. We have had it for over two years now and it's been a charm. In my opinion, it still looks new.

For over five years, I have wanted a head and foot board for our bed (the one I brought into our marriage). We have looked here and there - but they are VERY expensive. You see, my heart was set on a sleigh bed in cherry wood (that would match the rest of the existing furniture in the room.) Often a bed like that goes into the thousands of dollars. While they are beautiful, we are just not going to be spending that kind of money on ANY piece of furniture.

We have in the last year been talking about our upcoming need for a family dining table. You see, studies show that families that eat together (at a dining table) as a family have lower rates of obesity than those who eat - say, in front of a TV or not together. Phin will start to experiment with solids when he's six months old and so, it'll be time for us to sit together.

I saw a commercial for a furniture store that sells discontinued, factory over runs etc. I have seen the commercial for about two years now. They are only open on the weekends and I thought I wanted to check them out - but I didn't know how to get to the store. This weekend Dan and I decided to go see what all of the fuss is about. We were happy to see that there wasn't some *guy* chasing us around trying to do a hard sell as we looked at the showroom (which was nothing more than a huge "room" (warehouse).

As a bargain shopper and someone who is very sure of her sense of style, I was quite pleased with what I found! Dan and I got a bed AND a kitchen table (for four as that is all the more room we have for a table in our house) for less than what we paid for our sofa two years ago! Even more, our furniture was brand new in the box!

Now, sleeping in has a whole new level of extravagance for me. I wake up and feel like I am in a hotel. I come to bed and feel like a queen (except for the 55lb boxer stealing my place in the bed!)


As for the kitchen table, it looks great in our dining area. I still need to sew up the table cloth and seat covers (you can see the material on the side of the table), but Dan and I still had our first dinner together at the table tonight. I haven't got "the fancy" down yet, but the important part, (Phin) was there taking turns sitting on mama's and daddy's lap.



Turns out, the cat is super happy to have yet another place to hide and catch a nap. That settles it, the whole family is HAPPY!

No comments: